Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Carnival of Venice - Atelier Antonia Sautter

                                                               Antonia Sautter (2001)

Thanks to my friend Natalia Tjiang I have discovered what may be my new favorite costume designer.
In 2013 she went on a trip to Italy & they made a stop in Venice. Just recently I was going through the many photo's of her trip on Facebook and I found one that was a picture of pretty dresses in a shop window and I just had to Google it.

                                          
                                                        Photo's by Natalia Tjiang


Up until then I did not know that the Carnival of Venice even existed and in the caption on her photo it mentioned "carnival costumes" So I started with the search word "Carnival costumes Venice" and found a whole bunch of wonderfulness.
Even though what I found I liked I was determined to find the exact designer of the costumes in the picture. I particularly liked the pink costume (Pink is my favorite color) so I searched for "Venice carnival costume designers" and found Antonia Sautter (as well as Stefano Nicolao) and turns out it was Antoina's shop in this picture:

                                                    Photo by Natalia Tjiang

                                          Photo of the pink costume at Il Ballo del Doge

More than anything I like making historical costumes. So when I find someone that makes similar costumes I get very happy. Though I am pretty much fangirling over this right now, I make otherwise historically accurate costumes because..well I'm a perfectionist, but Antonia Sautter makes them for the glamour of the Carnival of Venice.


Located in 3 boutiques in the Piazza San Marco (St. Marks square, Venice, Italy) she sells her fashion creations, she is well known for being the creator and organizer of  Il Ballo Del Doge the costume ball held each year during the Carnival of Venice.
Her shop contains over 2000 of her creations, and also books appointments and makes custom designs.
The pictures shown in the slideshow below are but of few of her gorgeous creations.

                                       

To read more about Anonia Sautter here's links to her Il Ballo del Doge website & wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonia_Sautter

http://www.ilballodeldoge.com/antonia-sautter/fashion?lang=en

No comments:

Post a Comment